- The cloth must be made with high tenacity polyester (dacron) yarns. Sail cloth must be made with either of the following cloth constructions: 6.5 oz. cloth with 220 denier warp and 440 denier fill yarns or 280 grams/square meter cloth with 250 denier warp and 410 denier fill yarns.
- Hoist shall be 14' (4267 mm) or less.
- Foot shall be 8'10'' (2692 mm) or less.
- Leech shall be 14'3'' (4343 mm) or less.
- There shall be three girth measurements excluding boltrope to be determined by folding the sail in quarters. Top girth measurement 3'3'' (990.6 mm) or less. Middle girth measurement 5'8'' (1727 mm) or less. Bottom girth measurement 7'6'' (2286 mm) or less.
- The width of the headboard shall be 4'' (101.6 mm) or less. The overall dimension of the head of the sail, including boltrope, shall be 5-1/2'' (139.78 mm) or less. The sail must have a boltrope.
- The sail shall be constructed with four batten pockets. The top edge of the top batten pocket must be a minimum of 27'' (686 mm) below the top of the headboard. Spacing between battens shall not exceed 36'' (914 mm) nor be less than 32'' (813 mm). The top three battens shall be full length, extending from the leech of the sail to within 2'' (50.8 mm) of the bolt rope. The bottom batten shall not exceed 36'' (914 mm) in length.
- Batten pockets shall lie at 90 degrees plus or minus 5 degrees to the leech.
- Batten material and structural characteristics are optional. Batten width shall be 2'' (50.8 mm) maximum.
- Sail may have one row of reef points which cannot be located less than 18'' (458mm) from the foot of the sail.
- A yacht is restricted to the use of two sails in a regatta.
- Altering the sail characteristics, such as area and camber, during a regatta by means other than the natural flexing of the structural members and positioning the clew grommet on the outhaul bracket are prohibited. This includes reefing. Batten adjustment is excluded.
- National letters(s), yacht number and the letters “DN” shall be affixed to each side of the sail. Color of the letters and number shall contrast with the sail and be a minimum of 10'' (255 mm) high. The letters and numbers shall be one piece, one color, block style letters on all sails made after July 1989.
- English MetricA window in the sail is required. The window may be any shape and placed in several sections.
Max Min Max Min
1000 100 6452 645
Area (sq. in. and sq. cm.):
- A steel cable, at least 3/64” (1.2 mm) in diameter may be attached to the headboard, running inside the luff to a point outside the sail at the tack. Lower end of the cable shall form a loop which must be secured to the tack pin on boom when under sail. Distance from top of headboard to center of 1/4'' (6.3 mm) bolt inserted in the loop shall not exceed 14' (4267 mm) with cable straight and under 10 lbs. (4.6 kg) of tension.
- Sail shall not extend aft of the forward edge of the 1/2'' (12 mm) boom stripe which is located 8'10'' (2692 mm) from the forward edge of mast slot.
- The leech, defined as the line between the forward upper corner of the headboard and the intersection of the foot and the leach at the clew, shall be measured with the sail free of battens and under 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) of tension.
- The girth (distance between the luff midpoint and the leech midpoint excluding boltrope) shall be measured with the battens removed and such tension as is required to remove wrinkles. Midpoints are found by folding the sail so holes line up and marking the fold.
- Sails shall not be colored red or orange.
- The profile of the sail along the leach shall be such that the maximum inward curve of the edge of the leach shall not exceed 3/4'' from a line drawn from the back of the headboard to the outer end of the second batten pocket from the top: and from a line drawn from the outer end of the top batten pocket to the outer end of the third batten pocket from the top.
- The profile of the leech above the top batten shall be such that no part of the sail extends outward more than 1/4'' from a line drawn from the back of the headboard to the outer end of the top batten pocket.
- The luff and the foot of the sail must have a boltrope that is inside the boltrope tunnel of the mast and boom while sailing, except in the area within 12 inches of the tack.
- The tack of the sail must be fixed to a fitting at the forward end of the boom.
- The hoist, defined as a line between the forward upper corner of the headboard and the intersection of the foot and luff at the tack, excluding boltropes, shall be measured with the sail free of battens and under 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) of tension.
See Sail Interpretations at the end of the Specifications.